Yesterday was Day of Pink as I posted. According to dayofpink.org, it was to be a day for people to "unite in celebrating diversity and raising awareness to stop homophobic, transphobic & all forms of bullying." Our school explained the beginning of the celebration (which dealt with a gay teen being bullied), but took it a step further (as the website suggests) to celebrate all differences. Our GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) sponsored the day. Teachers and students came together to wear pink. But I mentioned all of this yesterday and last year...
This year's day was a bit difference. One "Christian" teacher wore a black t-shirt with JESUS! across the front in protest. I can't even begin to know what goes through someone's mind that thinks this is OK. Isn't protesting an anti-bullying day the same as bullying? When I found out this morning, I was almost speechless... almost. As the day progressed, I tried to make light of it instead of being upset by it. Most people agree that "their Jesus" would have been wearing pink, and I tend to agree with this. In jest I told one gay member of our staff that next year instead of selling pink "Celebrate Diversity" bracelets, they should sell black WWJD bracelets. People amaze and scare me at times. WWJD? He'd wear pink.

Comments