Skip to main content

Washington Nationals

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Washington_Nationals_2011.png




It is not enough to understand, or to see clearly. The future will be shaped in the arena of human activity, by those willing to commit their minds and their bodies to the task. 
Robert Kennedy






My source for most of my baseball information has come from Wikipedia.  Today's post is no different.  According to "The Free Encyclopedia", "The team moved into the newly built Nationals Park in 2008, after playing their first three seasons in RFK Stadium. The new park is located in Southeast D.C., near the Anacostia River and with views of the Capitol."  Although the Nationals no longer play in RFK stadium, they played three seasons in a stadium named after Robert F. Kennedy.  They also play in our nation's capitol.  This year our nation, the United States, is participating in World Book Night.  In fact the web address includes US; that's how I know it has to do with our nation.  About a month ago a friend suggested I submit an application to receive twenty free books.  Typically I am a bit pessimistic about "free" stuff, but I filled out the form.  My paragraphs discussed who I would give the books to and why.  World Book Night gives books to people, so they can give them to others.  For example, looking at the website my favorite ideas were passing the books out at a laundromat or bus stop.  I said that I would give my books to my reluctant/low reader class.

When I received the e-mail saying I had been chosen and asking where I wanted to pick up my books, I was amazed.  Actually I had a difficult time believing my good fortune.  My first choice was Hunger Games which wasn't available.  One of the titles I chose was Ender's Game although I hadn't actually read the book.  This was a lesson I should have learned my first year teaching when I ordered a class set of Christine by Stephen King to read with my contemporary literature course.  When I started reading the book I became uncomfortable with the derogatory terms used especially since it was a futuristic novel.  Although I was sad that I would be turning down free books (literally... no shipping.. no tax... no cost), I sent a letter to World Book Night (please remember it's National like the Washington Nationals.)

World Book Night-
I have been chosen as one of the lucky people to give away twenty FREE books.  This is an incredible privilege, and I was soooo excited when I learned of my book and pick up location.  Unfortunately, I have made a grave mistake.  I chose a book that I hadn't read, and I do not feel comfortable handing it out.  Although I knew of the book Ender's Game, I had never read it.  My first choice was Hunger Games, and it, understandably, went quickly.  Ender's Game uses words like nigger and kike derogatorily (of course).  The young adults I chose as recipients would be offended (as they should).  At first I thought I could give them the book and have the discussion, but the more I read I can't give this book away.  I apologize for not reading the book in advance.

I know that this is my fault, and I appreciate your efforts and this amazing opportunity that I must turn down.

Please do not send this book to the Hill Avenue Book Company, Hill Avenue, Spirit Lake, Iowa.

If I am given this opportunity again, I will know my title thoroughly before I choose it. 

Continue the amazing work you do!!

With regrets,

Yesterday,  I heard back from the national (United States) World Book Night people.  The e-mail was short, "Don't leave.  I can change your book.  Please let me know what your top three choices would be."  They completely understood and are getting me twenty free copies of Because of Winn Dixie to hand out on the national World Book Night on April 23.  Yea!  I am super impressed and excited.  Next year I will certainly apply again.

Today I give thanks for...
1) free books
2) green grass
3) long conversations (via phone), with a friend and my dad as I drove to Iowa last night

Comments

Bethn8r said…
Did you end up reading it in its entirety?
mm said…
No, I quit reading it.
KC said…
I'm so impressed that they fixed your issue!!

I also haven't read Enders' Game, but many of my students have told me they loved it.
Bethn8r said…
It's really a phenomenal book. Lots of powerful themes, and it's a fascinating story. My husband read it quite a few times when he was growing up, and I read it for the first time as an adult, but I loved it too.

Popular posts from this blog

Sankalpa Day 5

Today I went back to the interweb to find out what I could post about that would relate to sankalpa .  "...Sankalpa has the potential to release tremendous power by clearly defining and focusing on a chosen goal."  My chosen goal since May has truly been on being physically active.  Since it's cold and miserable out, I've been being active inside instead of outside.  December 6th (or something like that) was the last time I ventured outside for physical activity.  I, however, have still been going to they gym and focusing on being physically fit (or at least burning enough calories to eat more food).  Yesterday I received an early morning text from a friend in God's Country .  President Obama was talking about "The President's Challenge" .  Today (I tried yesterday and decided to put it off until today... forget out it... let it happen... put it aside... clear my mind of it... all probably sankalpa) I formed a group.  The...

What if... The Delivery

  Molly was excited to get a package from her friend who lives in Alaska.  When she opened the box, she was confused.  Although the shirt was actually soft and of good quality, she was upset by the guns in the flag.  When she googled Holster's, it was exactly what she thought... pro-gun.  She didn't know how to handle the situation, so she sent a picture stating she was confused. Her friend had obviously lost her mind.  During the conversation, she kept proclaiming that she hadn't sent a t-shirt.  When Molly explained it was her writing on the box, things became weird.  The friend was in a state of denial.  Molly even sent a text with a picture of the writing on the box. Molly's friend was adamant that she sent homemade condiments.  She wouldn't give up on her story even though it was clear Molly is in possession of an NRA type t-shirt.  After much deliberation, the two friends realized what had happened.  The original box, wit...

Missing You

Two Sundays ago I missed church because I was out of town. Last Sunday I missed church because I could not get to church due to the marathon (blocking my path... not my running). Dad and I tried to leave early, but we did not leave early enough. I joked with Dad about the fact that they would miss me at church. When I checked my e-mail this evening, I actually had an e-mail from my pastor saying I was missed. It was a short e-mail, but it was sweet and definitely a positive part of my day.