![]() |
| http://www.articlesweb.org/lifestyle/san-francisco-giants |
A Swing and A Miss
by J. Patrick Lewis
The fastball
that you hope to poke
is smoke
that you hope to poke
is smoke
The curveball
that you thought was there
is air
that you thought was there
is air
The knuckler
wobbling up to you
can dipsy-do
wobbling up to you
can dipsy-do
The screwball
an ironic twist
hits your fist
an ironic twist
hits your fist
The sinker
comes as a surprise:
it dies
comes as a surprise:
it dies
The let-up pitch
you can't resist?
you missed
you can't resist?
you missed
The spitball
that by law's forbidden
(is hidden)
that by law's forbidden
(is hidden)
On Monday, I received a GIANT surprise in my mailbox at school. After posting a cute otter video to my FB page, a stuffed animal (otter) appeared without any hint to its origin. Since I have less than ten work people who are FB friends, I figured it was easy to narrow it down. This was a GIANT miscalculation. After harassing the most likely suspects who would have a reason to have a stuffed animal, I figured someone was lying. Instead of trusting the honesty of these "friends", I posted a "who did it" message on FB, "A Swing and a Miss". This only left me with GIANT frustration. How does this relate to baseball (with the exception of the GIANT references)?
I finally asked the one person whom I had not bothered since she went home sick. She was the kind person who left the cute otter in my mailbox. Immediately, I sent an apology to the person I had messaged with a "you're a liar" type message (GIANT mistake). The giver told me the story of the special (and cute) otter. It came from Monterrey, California. Monterrey is close to San Francisco home of the GIANTS.
Me- Is there a baseball team near Monterrey?
Giver- San Francisco would be the closest.
M- San Fran Padres? How far is San Fran
G- San Francisco Giants, I think the Padres are San Diego. San Francisco is about 100 miles north of Monterrey?
My baseball knowledge continues to be amazing. Don't worry; I did some research. According to Wikipedia, "As one of the oldest baseball
teams, they have won the most games of any team in the history of
American baseball, and any North American professional sports team." In an image search I learned they were the 2010 World Champions. Plus, the San Francisco Giants colors are the colors of Halloween (black and orange). The giver of the otter always has candy for me, not merely at Halloween. Do you see how this is all fitting together? Brilliant Bountiful Baseball Ballyhoo!
Today I am thankful for...
1) my new otter
2) beautiful weather and an outdoor field trip
3) my colleagues who volunteered to teach about metaphors even though it's not their subject area

Comments
If you're in Monterrey soon, please come to Berkeley! Bring your otter, too!
I've never been to San Francisco, but I think of the great poem "Fog" by Carl Sandburg every time I hear the name San Francisco.
"The Cat" by Carl Sandburg
The fog comes
on little cat feet.
It sits looking
over harbor and city
on silent haunches
and then moves on.