![]() |
| http://espn.go.com/i/page2/photos/060613/mr_met_195.jpg |
Met People
by Gottfried Benn
I've met people who,
when you ask their name,
shyly -- as if they could hardly claim
the right to have a name --
answer 'Miss Christian' and then:
'like the first name', they wanted to make it easy to grasp
not a difficult name like 'Popiol' or 'Babendererde' --
'like the first name' -- please, don't strain your memory!
I have met people, who
grew up in a hovel with parents and four siblings
studied, nights, on the kitchen stove
with their fingers in their ears
made good, outwardly beautiful and ladylike like countesses
and inwardly gentle and conscientious like Nausicaa
who wore the pure brow of angels.
I've often asked myself where the gentle and good
come from and found no answer,
still don't know it today and have to go now.
Mr. Met is the official mascot of the New York Mets. According to Wikipedia, "Mr. Met is believed to have been the first mascot in Major League Baseball to exist in human (as opposed to artistically rendered) form." Although I have never met Mr. Met, I have met many people. Most of these people I have come to appreciate. At meetings I sit around the table with people I have met. Yesterday I had two meetings, one at school and one at church. The school meeting left me needing to go to a bar or go to the gym. I chose the gym. The cause of this reaction was people at this gathering whom I have met and learned to dislike and/or distrust. The other meeting left me relaxed and appreciative of the human spirit. In this meeting instead of swearing and getting irritated, I giggled and felt as though my voice was heard and appreciated. Although I want all of the people whom I have met to make me feel this way, I know it is an impossibility. Instead of thinking about the horrible people whom I have met, I will think about the kind, intelligent, and well-meaning people I have met.
Today I am thankful for...
1) cherry jelly on my English muffin :)
2) people I have met (most people I have met)
3) gym time to alleviate my stress
4) Advil

Comments
Thanks for the info on Mr. Met!