Vendors
by Paul B. Janeczko
An army of vendors
roams the stands -
red shirts,
narrow paper caps,
aprons for money -
lugging trays of waxy cups of soda
or tubs of popcorn.
Their eyes -
the eyes of spies -
scan the fans
looking for a sign of recognition,
answer their mates as if in code:
Iiiiiiice cream!
Getcher peanuts!
Iiiiiiice cream!
Getcher peanuts!
ignoring the battle
being waged
on the field of flawless green.
Saturday I talked to a dear friend (K) whom reads my blog and is originally from Wisconsin. We were talking about my ineptness to blog about baseball for thirty days since I have little to no knowledge about the baseball teams. She informed me that the Brewers used to be in the American League and are currently in the National League. Actually, this past summer I drove past the Milwaukee stadium on the way to K's wedding. K let everyone know that the Twins were in town, so attendees could go to Miller Park and root for the Twins although I had no intention of taking in a ballgame while I was visiting. I'm assuming Miller Park is named for the Miller Brewing, so the poem Vendors is fitting. Don't ya think? In Wisconsin they also call a water fountain a bubbler. I wonder if Miller Park has any bubblers.
Milwaukee is also the birthplace of the Little Free Library. It is based on the take one/leave on concept. These little libraries seem to hold fifteen to twenty books (IDK). From the pictures they look like big mailboxes with books for people to peruse. Minneapolis even has some although I've never seen them. Settergren Hardware in Minneapolis is the home for one of these. They have more than one location, so I'm not sure if each location contains the Little Free Library. Anyway, I love this idea which was started in Milwaukee, home of the Brewers.
Today I am thankful for..
1) starting poetry with the seventh graders
2) two doctors appointments this week means wearing workout pants two days
3) my friend K!

Comments
I'm thankful for you too!
K
Wisconsin is also the birthplace of the Republican Party. It was in some little schoolhouse near Rippon, I think. The GOP and the Packers are enough for anyone to loathe that state.