The Crowd at the Game
by William Carlos Williams
The crowd at the ball game
is moved uniformly
is moved uniformly
by a spirit of uselessness
which delights them —
which delights them —
all the exciting detail
of the chase
of the chase
and the escape, the error
the flash of genius —
the flash of genius —
all to no end save beauty
the eternal -
the eternal -
So in detail they, the crowd,
are beautiful
are beautiful
for this
to be warned against
to be warned against
saluted and defied —
It is alive, venomous
It is alive, venomous
it smiles grimly
its words cut —
its words cut —
The flashy female with her
mother, gets it —
mother, gets it —
The Jew gets it straight - it
is deadly, terrifying —
is deadly, terrifying —
It is the Inquisition, the
Revolution
Revolution
It is beauty itself
that lives
that lives
day by day in them
idly —
idly —
This is
the power of their faces
the power of their faces
It is summer, it is the solstice
the crowd is
the crowd is
cheering, the crowd is laughing
in detail
in detail
permanently, seriously
without thought
without thought
Soooooo. A new blogging challenge starts today. According to Pronto Pup, "Here's how it works. Starting on Monday, March 7, 2012
Monday, March 5, 2012, we will be blogging a Month of Baseball! (Don't
worry, it's not really about sports). It's Spring Training - and we're
coming up on the 2012 baseball season. There are 30 Major League
Baseball teams - 29 in the US and one in Canada. Between March 7, 2012 March 5, 2012 and April 4, 2012 (opening day) blog about as many MLB teams as you can. "
I am starting out the blog challenge with a baseball poem and one of the more attractive logos in MLB. The Miami Marlins are also MM, so I think it's a fitting initial blog challenge post. Actually I thought they were the Florida Marlins, but what do I know about baseball? It seems I know as little about baseball as I do teaching without a Smartboard. Today I made a Notebook file to use in the computer lab knowing it would be shown on a wall instead of a whiteboard or Smartboard. When I was trying to explain the paragraph assignment that evaluated their website, I realized how much I count on the Smartboard. To solve my problem, I took a piece of paper, tore it into thirds, wrote the three main ideas on the paper, taped them on the wall next to my example from the Notebook file, and told the students it was the Smartwall. Although they really were not humored, I was proud of my creativity. Maybe tomorrow I will learn more about baseball and using a Smartwall.
Hey Pronto, did I "hit it out of the park"?
Today I am thankful for...
1) daylight going to and returning from work
2) using my Webinar time productive by riding the bike, listening and playing Scrabble and Scramble with Friends
3) a night to relax and read
Today I am thankful for...
1) daylight going to and returning from work
2) using my Webinar time productive by riding the bike, listening and playing Scrabble and Scramble with Friends
3) a night to relax and read

Comments
The Florida Marlins changed their name to the Miami Marlins over the winter. They got a brand new stadium in Miami and as a way to usher in the new they changed their uniforms and logo and name. I think there was something in there about awarding Miami with the name as well since that city had a huge part of building the stadium.
Another thing about Miami: The team went on a spending spree this winter and bought all these really good players to hopefully have a good team in the first year of their new stadium.
Look at their new uniforms ... I personally hate them. But maybe someone with fashion sense likes them. I also dislike the logo, so that's why I'm suggesting it.