Skip to main content

Houston Astros

http://www.sportsdesignblog.com/astros-obsession/

Sandlot Dad
by M. T. Corrigan

Not to say too much, nor paint those shadows
deeper than they were, his serves just clearing
the drop of the woods, and that line of maples
along Route Two, a deeper green. Greater matters
attach themselves to the sense of things
we learned, like the shockless strokes of triples
scalded down the lines, singeing the Nadeaus'
birch trees: overspin, top hand. What meaning
could one assign to batting practice; who grapples 
light enough to comprehend that meadow's
darknesses? He pitched from deepeer shade, peering
in to catch the sign to get me out. No scruples
for the dustbacks that flung me down to dirt:
"Get up, son. Hang in. Baseball doesn't hurt."
http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/2011/05/the_astros_suck_is_it_their_mu.php

It seems names and uniforms are constantly changing in baseball.  The Houston Astros I remember wore orange and yellow uniforms with a star.  Although the star hasn't changed, the colors have changed.  Perhaps I know as much information about astronomy as I do baseball, but I think astro is more of a prefix than it is a word (astro nomy).  I don't think an astro is actually a star.  Anyway, I may not know about astronomy, but I do know about stars.  Sometimes my students drive me crazy, but sometimes they prove to be stars.  Yesterday on our field trip, they proved to be stars.  Our field trip was outside, and the weather was wonderful.  Walking outside on the uneven ground was a bit difficult on my hip, so I was walking a bit slow.  One student came up behind me and said that I was slow like a turtle.  He then yelled, "Simile... It's a simile."  (The day before we had discussed similes in class.)  Later in the day, the after school struggling readers were reading Catching Fire with partners.  While they read, I walked around the room helping with vocabulary and checking for comprehension.  One pair waved me across the room because they had found a simile in their reading.  They were proud; they were stars. 

Oh.  Baseball.  Houston.  Astros.  Nothing.
I will add this about the field trip that has little to do with students being stars.  Talking to middle school students about "tapping" trees only causes giggles.  They're used to "tapping" meaning something different... just saying.

BTW- My reason for today's baseball poem is the simile.

Today I'm thankful for...
1) star students
2) cookies and hot cocoa for breakfast
3) fresh flowers while waiting for spring
I need to stop posting in the morning.  It becomes difficult to come up with my thankful list.

Comments

Jim said…
Oh,Misc., aren't you so wonderfullly poetic? Thanks for that poem. I really like this one a lot.

The Astros are a funny team. They were originally called the Houston Colt .45s, but the gun company threatened to sue them for using their gun name as a logo. Idiots.

Then, the Astros, changed their name (in 1965) to the Astros because they built the first-ever domed stadium (the Astrodome), which was named because it looked like something from outerspace -- like a spaceship or UFO. Plus, the space race was on and everyone was wild about NASA and their Astronauts. Houston had ground control for the space program, so they were a big part of the Apollo missions. Hence, the name. It was futuristic and all that.

Oh little ones, please don't snicker at the words "tapping" and "tap" when on a field trip about maple syrup. Kids.
LH said…
I love that the kid remembered about similes and used the term appropriately.

Popular posts from this blog

Sankalpa Day 5

Today I went back to the interweb to find out what I could post about that would relate to sankalpa .  "...Sankalpa has the potential to release tremendous power by clearly defining and focusing on a chosen goal."  My chosen goal since May has truly been on being physically active.  Since it's cold and miserable out, I've been being active inside instead of outside.  December 6th (or something like that) was the last time I ventured outside for physical activity.  I, however, have still been going to they gym and focusing on being physically fit (or at least burning enough calories to eat more food).  Yesterday I received an early morning text from a friend in God's Country .  President Obama was talking about "The President's Challenge" .  Today (I tried yesterday and decided to put it off until today... forget out it... let it happen... put it aside... clear my mind of it... all probably sankalpa) I formed a group.  The...

What if... The Delivery

  Molly was excited to get a package from her friend who lives in Alaska.  When she opened the box, she was confused.  Although the shirt was actually soft and of good quality, she was upset by the guns in the flag.  When she googled Holster's, it was exactly what she thought... pro-gun.  She didn't know how to handle the situation, so she sent a picture stating she was confused. Her friend had obviously lost her mind.  During the conversation, she kept proclaiming that she hadn't sent a t-shirt.  When Molly explained it was her writing on the box, things became weird.  The friend was in a state of denial.  Molly even sent a text with a picture of the writing on the box. Molly's friend was adamant that she sent homemade condiments.  She wouldn't give up on her story even though it was clear Molly is in possession of an NRA type t-shirt.  After much deliberation, the two friends realized what had happened.  The original box, wit...

Missing You

Two Sundays ago I missed church because I was out of town. Last Sunday I missed church because I could not get to church due to the marathon (blocking my path... not my running). Dad and I tried to leave early, but we did not leave early enough. I joked with Dad about the fact that they would miss me at church. When I checked my e-mail this evening, I actually had an e-mail from my pastor saying I was missed. It was a short e-mail, but it was sweet and definitely a positive part of my day.