![]() |
| http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Colorado_Rockies_logo.svg |
Bully by Donald Graves
Bobby
Nelson is the toughest kid in our class;
I
am the smallest.
His
hoarse voice finds me every day
on
the way to school and home again.
“Hey,
Rabbit, whatcha doin’?”
A
rock drops into my gut.
He
walks next to me,
throws
his elbow into my ribs
and
edges me to the curb
hoping
I’ll take a swing at him.
I
tried once and he flipped
me
like a toy dog.
One
day Jim, my best friend, gets fed up
with
Nelson’s jabs and taunts.
Someone
on the playground yells “fight”
and
a ring of kids surround them.
“Hit
‘im, Jim.”
“Take
him, Nelson.”
They
shove back and forth
saying,
“Yeah, Yeah, Yeah,
think
you’re big,
think
you’re tough.”
Nelson
takes a swing;
Jim
catches his arm
and
twists him to the ground;
the
dust flies, the circle cheers.
Jim
sits on Nelson
like
we own the playground,
the school, and everything in it.According to my baseball source, "The Free Encyclopedia", "On June 1, 2006, USA Today reported that Rockies management, including manager Clint Hurdle, had instituted an explicitly Christian code of conduct for the team's players, banning men's magazines (such as Maxim and Playboy) and sexually explicit music from the team's clubhouse. Perhaps this is why Tebow was such a hit in Denver... It couldn't have been his merely average QB skills (Yep, I can throw a little football in my baseball post).
This upcoming week, the last week before spring break, could be a bit rocky. Tuesday night is conferences and grades do not look stellar. Maybe I'll receive some late work tomorrow to buffer the insanity. It's also a busy week for me although some activities are fun and positive.
Today's poem came from the book entitled Baseball, Snakes and Summer Squash. Although I was looking for a baseball poem, I think this is fitting due to the recent debate over the bully movie and its rating... rate it PG-13 and let the message be told.
Today I'm thankful for...
1) another week of teaching poetry
2) another evening out to eat with friends.
3) another cool day to wear my Uggs

Comments