![]() |
| http://www.chrisweigant.com/2007/09/27/native-americans-inc/ |
Carriers of the Dream Wheel
by N. Scott Momoday
This is the Wheel of Dreams
Which is carried on their voices,
By means of which their voices turn
And center upon being.
It encircles the First World,
This powerful wheel.
They shape their songs upon the wheel
And spin the names of the earth and sky;
The aboriginal names.
They are old men, or men
Who are old in their voices,
And they carry the wheel among the camps,
Saying: Come, come,
Let us tell the old stories,
Let us sing the sacred songs.
This morning in my Sacred Journey service I knew today was the day to speak of the Cleveland Indians. At the beginning of each service we "bless the space". More often than not this is done by smudging sage. Today as we blessed the space, we talked about the Spirit being everywhere and within us all. During the reading we thought about the four directions and the Presence in air, fire, water and Earth. We talked about how we walk the wheel to speak of peace, keeping open the Spirit's presence. I love my church service because there is a though of people and nature. The Native American culture is certainly a part of this.
My Iowa history text from elementary school, not unlike the Indians' mascot had little respect for the Native people. With each lesson we were to make a certain object into a person. Both my brother and I as adults still remember how troubling this was for us as kids. The one picture we both never forget is when we made an alcohol bottle into an Indian (maybe a Brave). I actually scanned this image, so you would believe me. Of course it is a negative memory and image, much like the one I feel when I look at the Indians' mascot. What's wrong with people?
Thanks to Pronto, I have fixed my mistake and changed my post to the Cleveland Indians since that was the mascot of which I was speaking. Baseball posting is challenging.
Each Monday the seventh graders journal about a poem. The poem I used today, fitting for my post although not baseball related, is the poem the seventh graders will journal about tomorrow.
Today I am thankful for...
1) lunch with a friend
2) grading papers on my neighbors deck
3) open windows


Comments