| Dad and Carol gave me a Clivia plant. It finally flowered although it is not as robust as the plant at my dad's house. |
Last night my knee locked up causing intense pain. It is still sore today although it gets better as the day continues. The PT seems to think it could be related to the hip or perhaps floating cartilage although she doesn't really know.
Today a seventh grader explained why he wasn't going to attend tomorrow's "Courage Retreat". We try to get all students on this field trip because it speaks to having heart and behaving with integrity. The space for this retreat (gym connected to church) is donated, making it a good location. After last year's uncomfortable conversation with a group of Muslim students who had legitimate concerns about the cross on the building, we made sure to acknowledge this on the permission slip form. Since tomorrow is the field trip, we have been talking to kids all day about getting in their forms. One young man told another teacher he wasn't going because "he wasn't Christian". I talked to the student and explained he didn't need to be Christian that it had nothing to do with the field trip. The irony came because he was wearing a cross around his neck. "I'm not Christian; I'm Catholic," he stated emphatically. Although I didn't ask him to explain the difference, I did point to the cross around his neck and explained the cross on the building would be a problem for some, but obviously not for him since he had a cross around his neck.
Comments
He may be wise beyond his years or sadly misinformed - its hard to say.