Today's church service was opened by grounding everyone through breath because there was a feeling we were not collectively together in the space. We were asked to take three deep breaths together and release what was before and what would come. It was done spontaneously, but it was wonderful. I had the feeling that I need to do this with my class after lunch with some frequency. Today's message was basically about our job as stewards of the Earth although those words weren't used.
After the Bible reading, the pastor said that there are two messages (well more but two that we were going to discuss today) in the Bible, a sense of awe and an engagement in mystery. Well, this piqued my curiosity. She also mentioned that we needed to live our lives, vote our voice, and walk our lives with Jesus as the example. These are words to live by although I would guess the conservative Christians believe they are doing the very same thing. It was mentioned that we needed to be activists, prayers, and learners.
We ended church by sending Valentine's Day cards to Senator Amy Klobuchar. These cards had blue sky and clouds on the front and stated:
Dear Senator,
This Valentine's Day, let's love the Earth and the air we breathe. As a person of faith, I believe we have a moral obligation to be good stewards of Creation and therefore I urge you to oppose the efforts in Congress to block the EPA's ability to enforce the Clean Air Act, which has been protected for American's health and cleaned up air pollution for the past 40 years.
I strongly oppose efforts to roll back the landmark environmental law and allow industry to emit dangerous levels of toxins and global warming pollutions. All people deserve clean air and a safe climate.
Please consider our children's future and do the right thing: oppose efforts to weaken or delay enforcement of the Clean Air Act.
Sincerely,
It seems as though the card originally came from Interfaith Power & Light, so I picture congregations across the state doing the same thing today. "I assume we're not sending one to Al Franken because he already supports the enforcement of the Clean Air Act," I stated/asked one of the people handing out the Valentine's Day cards. He said that was true, and Klobuchar is up for re-election. I would vote for Klobuchar again, but I love the idea of inundating her office with cards.
Comments