Skip to main content

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly


The Good
While I was on Long Island for my uncle Jim's funeral, I stayed with my cousin, MB, her husband, T, and their two adorable (both As) children.  I felt honored to be able to stay at their home and be part of their family for a couple of days.  The events of yesterday were emotional.  It was great to hear the kind words about Jim, but I was sorry that my father was not well enough to make the trip.

The people of U. S. Airways have been super accommodating with my crutch.  They've made the trip easy.


The Bad
Although I am able to use one crutch occasionally, I extended myself the last two days.  It made it clear that the hour of biking each day is truly helpful.  I will need to continue to make use of the crutch for a little longer.

The Ugly
T's mother arrived the same night as I did, but it wasn't until the next morning that I was able to meet her.  As the children were diligently doing their homework at the table.  I was nearby reading.  T's mom picked up one of A's books. "Look at these black people.  What is this?  What are they teaching are kids?  Are there Chinese people too?" she exclaimed.  Immediately I quit reading.  What?  I didn't want to say anything because I was trying to be a good guest and was not sure of MB and T's beliefs.  I know they're Republicans, but not all Republicans are overtly racist.  Next she picked up an American Doll book with a Hawaiian girl on the front.  At first she said that she wanted to know where the "Americans" were and finally back tracked saying Hawaiians were Americans.  My assumption is that only white people are truly Americans in her mind.  I wonder were the Native Americans fit into her color scheme.

Comments

Gina Marie said…
I'm cringing reading that, and can't even imagine how harsh it would have been to witness that in person! YIKES.
Anonymous said…
Who in American still talks like that?!?! I'm both proud and appauled you didn't say anything. Proud you were able to be a polite houseguest but appauled you didn't jump off the couch and ask this woman what in the world she was thinking in 2012 in New York (of all places)
Knowing you, I'm sure there was blood in your mouth from biting all the way through your tongue!
LH said…
What a weirdo this gal is. Glad you don't have to be around her very often.
jdoc said…
Oh, man. I hate moments like these. I had one in the coffee shop the other day, but at least I wasn't a house guest there and was able to roll my eyes and make guffawing noises freely.

Popular posts from this blog

Sankalpa Day 5

Today I went back to the interweb to find out what I could post about that would relate to sankalpa .  "...Sankalpa has the potential to release tremendous power by clearly defining and focusing on a chosen goal."  My chosen goal since May has truly been on being physically active.  Since it's cold and miserable out, I've been being active inside instead of outside.  December 6th (or something like that) was the last time I ventured outside for physical activity.  I, however, have still been going to they gym and focusing on being physically fit (or at least burning enough calories to eat more food).  Yesterday I received an early morning text from a friend in God's Country .  President Obama was talking about "The President's Challenge" .  Today (I tried yesterday and decided to put it off until today... forget out it... let it happen... put it aside... clear my mind of it... all probably sankalpa) I formed a group.  The...

What if... The Delivery

  Molly was excited to get a package from her friend who lives in Alaska.  When she opened the box, she was confused.  Although the shirt was actually soft and of good quality, she was upset by the guns in the flag.  When she googled Holster's, it was exactly what she thought... pro-gun.  She didn't know how to handle the situation, so she sent a picture stating she was confused. Her friend had obviously lost her mind.  During the conversation, she kept proclaiming that she hadn't sent a t-shirt.  When Molly explained it was her writing on the box, things became weird.  The friend was in a state of denial.  Molly even sent a text with a picture of the writing on the box. Molly's friend was adamant that she sent homemade condiments.  She wouldn't give up on her story even though it was clear Molly is in possession of an NRA type t-shirt.  After much deliberation, the two friends realized what had happened.  The original box, wit...

Missing You

Two Sundays ago I missed church because I was out of town. Last Sunday I missed church because I could not get to church due to the marathon (blocking my path... not my running). Dad and I tried to leave early, but we did not leave early enough. I joked with Dad about the fact that they would miss me at church. When I checked my e-mail this evening, I actually had an e-mail from my pastor saying I was missed. It was a short e-mail, but it was sweet and definitely a positive part of my day.