With each of our breakings
you break,
and with each
of our woundings,
your own wounds grow deeper.
Yet you hold
the pieces together
till we learn to make
the new connections,
and you guard
each throbbing wound
till we have had enough pain.
You remind us
that it is our delight you seek,
not our suffering.
And you tell us
it is not the wounds
that give life,
but the tending of them
in each other.
And you say
it is not the breaking
that makes us whole
but the mending of the pieces
that brings us new life.
~Jan L. Richardson
Although people that work with me today would think "breaking" was a post about my day at work, it really has nothing to do with the frustration of my job. It is the theme our church is using for Lent. Tonight as we walked into the sanctuary, we were given a shard of some ceramic object or tile. I was pleased that no one was behind me because it took my some time to choose my piece. Of course this was a process as I picked up and replaced pieces until I chose a white piece with a small red dot in the corner. My seat was also chosen with thought because I wanted a view of the people coming in and choosing their pieces. Some took their time as I did while others merely grabbed a piece without thought. As I sat watching, I kind of wanted to go back. Maybe I didn't choose the correct piece. Maybe a more perfect shard was at the bottom of the pile. Perhaps this is a metaphor as I'm never satisfied. I'm always looking for something better from others and from myself. A metaphor for brokenness and breaking...?
My pastor (although I guess she goes by reverend) posted more poetically on the same subject. Her blog is always worth reading.
I give thanks for...
- My PLC (professional learning community) and our opening game that debriefed the day.
- My church community
- My practice of thinking about things I'm thankful for during Lent
Comments