Today I went back to school and let the students know what to expect for January including my two week absence following surgery. The reactions were mixed. A sweet girl in my first class said perhaps she could send me flowers while a group of boys in my third class concentrated on the date instead (Friday the 13th) suggesting I should worry about Jason cutting me up on the table (seriously). In one class an ELL student seriously didn't know about a hip, so I had to explain it to him. All in all it went well, I told them that maybe they noticed I've been walking around as if I was 82 when I was really only 72, so I was going to have surgery. In my after school program for struggling readers, one student asked a question in the middle of our reading, "Do you really need to be gone?" Of course this had nothing to do with our reading, but I think she was sincere.
Today I went back to school and let the students know what to expect for January including my two week absence following surgery. The reactions were mixed. A sweet girl in my first class said perhaps she could send me flowers while a group of boys in my third class concentrated on the date instead (Friday the 13th) suggesting I should worry about Jason cutting me up on the table (seriously). In one class an ELL student seriously didn't know about a hip, so I had to explain it to him. All in all it went well, I told them that maybe they noticed I've been walking around as if I was 82 when I was really only 72, so I was going to have surgery. In my after school program for struggling readers, one student asked a question in the middle of our reading, "Do you really need to be gone?" Of course this had nothing to do with our reading, but I think she was sincere.

Comments