Last night at ALC the readers theater went well. The conversation also went well although it's easy for this group (struggling readers) to get off task. At one point a young lady gave her thoughts on teachers. She said she thought that teachers were teaching to help students. Her point being that she was "heartbroken" when she realized they were paid. I'm not quite sure what emotion it showed, but it was a little "matter of fact". My guess is the statement held some truth. This was a bit of a rose because I found it to be an interesting comment. Since she was already off task, I didn't want to continue the conversation.
The thorn from yesterday had to do with the lack of significant and consistent discipline in my building. The previous day I sent a student out because I had done many interventions, yet he continued to be a disruption to the class. Yesterday he came to my room asking for work because he was in the quiet room. I told him to sit down in a desk, and I'd deal with the quiet room. Instead of calling the quiet room, I called the principal and had a chat with him in the hall. Part of my chat explained that the student needed to be in my class, and I would decide when he was to be taken out of my class. Later in the afternoon, I had to go get another student out of detention because I wanted him in my after school reading program. My guess is the people in charge of the quiet room and detention have had enough of me, but I don't see myself going away.
Comments