Fact 1
As each goose flaps its wings, it creates an “uplift” for the birds that follow. By flying in a “V”
formation, the whole flock has 71% greater flying range than if each bird flew alone.
Lesson
People who share a common direction and sense of community can get where they are going
faster and more easily, because they are traveling on each other’s effort and momentum.
Fact 2
When a goose falls out of formation, it suddenly feels the drag and resistance of flying alone.
It quickly moves back into formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the bird
immediately in front of it.
Lesson
If we have as much sense as a goose, we stay in formation with those headed where we want to go.
We are willing to accept their help and give our help to others.
Fact 3
When the lead bird tires, it rotates back into the formation to take advantage of the lifting power
of the bird immediately in front of it.
Lesson
It pays to take turns doing the hard tasks and sharing leadership. As with geese, people are
interdependent on each others’ skills, capabilities, and unique arrangement of gifts, talents, and
resources.
Fact 4
The geese flying in formation honk to encourage those up front to keep up their speed.
Lesson
We need to make sure our honking is encouraging. In groups where there is encouragement,
the production is much greater. The power of encouragement is the quality of honking we seek.
Fact 5
When a goose gets sick, wounded, or shot down, two geese drop out of formation and follow it
down to help and protect it. They stay with it until it dies or is able to fly again. Then, they
launch out with another formation to catch up with the flock.
Lesson
If we have as much sense as geese, we will stand by each other in difficult times as well as when
we’re strong. The collective commitment of the group creates security for each individual.
Most of us have read this poem (or series of facts and lessons) at some point. Our school used it this past week to talk about community. The group I shared it with even wrote ways they contribute to the community of our school on the geese, and I hung them in the hall. I, however, hung them so the lead goose was going like this > instead of like this <. In true community fashion a colleague told me how awesome the geese were "honking encouragement" as she tried to help me figure out they needed to be changed. It is a great lesson about community. Actually I referenced it several times during the week while teaching.
I'm posting this today for two reasons. 1) I feel community at church in the service I attend. 2) The new blogger format makes it easier to post videos, and the only video I could find was the video taken in March of the geese in Okoboji.
Comments