Pronto Pup has a new blogging challenge, and I think this is positive. He mentions combining LH's "Calm til Christmas" with Obama's "Roses and Thorns". I'll admit this challenge may be difficult for me if I have to share about my day without saying anything bad. Since the challenge doesn't officially start until Saturday, I'll try posting today. Those who choose to comment should let me know if it will work in the challenge, or if the negativity is too strong.
Today was the first day of the NCTE Convention celebrating 100 Years of NCTE. I'll be honest; I'm already tired of hearing 100 years of NCTE, and I've only been to two sessions.
One of the presenters came to join my colleague and I at an activity in the first session. I didn't do the quick writes we were asked to do and share since I was overwhelmed by the lack of internet (I know I can't post about this because it is still too painful and negative. I mean what kind of national conference doesn't think to have internet available in all the session rooms?). My colleague didn't really feel like sharing (fair!). When the presenter asked if he could join us, I think we may have overwhelmed him a bit, but he "took it in stride."
Next, I went to listen to Chris Crutcher. He is amazing. He gets it. I took many notes while he spoke. "Times change but people don't." "Grief, you don't get over it until it's done." "The answer to 'what if' is your story." When he spoke of banned books (his are frequently banned since he "keeps it real"), he said, "They want to put their philosophy in front of humanity." He is a great story teller and read from his books, told stories, and made us think. One thing he mentioned was he really want's to make people nod their head when they read his stories. I nod my head at anything he says or writes. My favorite story/quote I wrote down talked about him personally. "My other claim to fame is that I played eight man football versus Larry Craig. We kicked his ass! Then he kicked mine on every vote he made after that."
This is something about my day: Chris Crutcher rocks! My colleagues and I are laughing all the time. It's Thursday, and I was able to have a grown up beer with lunch.

Comments