Skip to main content

U2


Last night was my first U2 concert. We had tickets for last year's cancelled concert, and I was impressed that I saved them all year. Since I left my rain gear in Guatemala, I went out yesterday to buy a cheap poncho. My poncho was perfect because it came in a zip lock baggie for my iPhone in the rain. As we ate before the concert, I bragged to everyone that the weather was great in Guatemala even though it was supposed to storm and rain and explained that I would keep it away from the concert. Oops! We left the concert soaked. At one point I looked over I my friends. Everyone had rain running down their face and big smiles. It takes a great concert for people to remain in the pouring rain. When the lightening flashed in the background, I was afraid it was the end of the concert, but they kept playing. Into the typical playlist, Bono added lyrics from Rain by the Beatles, Purple Rain by Prince, and Singing in the Rain . He also dedicated a song he originally wrote for Michael Hutchence for Amy Winehouse who had passed earlier in the day.


I appreciate U2 not merely for their music and lyrics. I appreciate U2 for the social action that supports the lyrics. At one point they sang Hallelujah and asked people to raise their hands to the rain and heavens. Of course he mentioned the One campaign. Besides how can one not be emotional when we are still at war and Bloody Sunday is played. While we waited for the concert to start a variety of statistics were posted on the 360º screen (children born, books published, video games sold, days left of coal...). During the concert as they sang Miss Sarajevo, I thought about how many of their songs (Miss Sarajevo) would make a great quick write for the seventh graders.

Comments

LH said…
The Chicago show was phenomenal. Thanks for a great write up.

Popular posts from this blog

Sankalpa Day 5

Today I went back to the interweb to find out what I could post about that would relate to sankalpa .  "...Sankalpa has the potential to release tremendous power by clearly defining and focusing on a chosen goal."  My chosen goal since May has truly been on being physically active.  Since it's cold and miserable out, I've been being active inside instead of outside.  December 6th (or something like that) was the last time I ventured outside for physical activity.  I, however, have still been going to they gym and focusing on being physically fit (or at least burning enough calories to eat more food).  Yesterday I received an early morning text from a friend in God's Country .  President Obama was talking about "The President's Challenge" .  Today (I tried yesterday and decided to put it off until today... forget out it... let it happen... put it aside... clear my mind of it... all probably sankalpa) I formed a group.  The...

What if... The Delivery

  Molly was excited to get a package from her friend who lives in Alaska.  When she opened the box, she was confused.  Although the shirt was actually soft and of good quality, she was upset by the guns in the flag.  When she googled Holster's, it was exactly what she thought... pro-gun.  She didn't know how to handle the situation, so she sent a picture stating she was confused. Her friend had obviously lost her mind.  During the conversation, she kept proclaiming that she hadn't sent a t-shirt.  When Molly explained it was her writing on the box, things became weird.  The friend was in a state of denial.  Molly even sent a text with a picture of the writing on the box. Molly's friend was adamant that she sent homemade condiments.  She wouldn't give up on her story even though it was clear Molly is in possession of an NRA type t-shirt.  After much deliberation, the two friends realized what had happened.  The original box, wit...

Missing You

Two Sundays ago I missed church because I was out of town. Last Sunday I missed church because I could not get to church due to the marathon (blocking my path... not my running). Dad and I tried to leave early, but we did not leave early enough. I joked with Dad about the fact that they would miss me at church. When I checked my e-mail this evening, I actually had an e-mail from my pastor saying I was missed. It was a short e-mail, but it was sweet and definitely a positive part of my day.