Today was an amazing yet long day. It seems every day leaves little time for the computer which is good. We left at 7:20 and returned around 10:30??? Our morning started with the first wheel chair distribution. My group had a little boy (5 yrs old) name Oliver. We were told Oliver couldn't see or propel himself. After spending time with Oliver, we realized (through the help of a punch balloon) that Oliver could not only see (at least shadows), but he could also walk (only a few steps) with assistance. I'm not sure I can put it into words tonight, but it was amazing. We not only helped him get a wheelchair but a walker. Our small group that worked with Oliver is certain with help he will be walking by the end of the year. A group of probably ten to fifteen (hard to tell because my group spent so much time with Oliver) was fitted with chairs. Tomorrow morning we will do the same.
After the wheelchair distribution, we went to see some ruins which were close. The ruins were peaceful, beautiful, and comical. We had to stop at BK (worst part of the trip so far including the cold showers). I was offered a dollar to wear a BK crown through the ruins (any doubt). Unfortunately I was paid in Guatemalan money which is approximately 1/8 of a dollar. During this adventure we also witnessed a funeral procession with mourners walking down the street carrying the casket followed by the band.
The internet proves to be problematic, but I think my pictures will be worth the wait. Others have taken ten times (or more) as much as myself, so I often sit back and let them do the photography. I should be able to share their pictures too!
Also, I'm posting Wednesday's post Thursday morning :(
After the wheelchair distribution, we went to see some ruins which were close. The ruins were peaceful, beautiful, and comical. We had to stop at BK (worst part of the trip so far including the cold showers). I was offered a dollar to wear a BK crown through the ruins (any doubt). Unfortunately I was paid in Guatemalan money which is approximately 1/8 of a dollar. During this adventure we also witnessed a funeral procession with mourners walking down the street carrying the casket followed by the band.
The internet proves to be problematic, but I think my pictures will be worth the wait. Others have taken ten times (or more) as much as myself, so I often sit back and let them do the photography. I should be able to share their pictures too!
Also, I'm posting Wednesday's post Thursday morning :(
Comments