This morning I attended service at my church for the first time for several weeks. I'll admit I was a bit disappointed when I realized it was "Summer Songfest" Sunday. As I sat singing a little and listening a lot, I began to enjoy the service and the variety of songs (from old hymns to Summertime by Gershwin to Let's Do It by Cole Porter). P, who typically sits by me, said she chose Leaning on the Everlasting Arms after watching True Grit. I told her I enjoyed the novel and heard the movie followed it closely, but I haven't watched it because I was concerned about the violence and gore for which the Coen brothers are known and the novel contained. Maybe I missed something in our conversation because she seemed to think I should watch it. Although I typically don't watch movies, I decided to watch it this afternoon because I had several tasks that I could accomplish while watching it. Even though I am doing these tasks while watching it, I am still having to cover my eyes periodically. I will admit the female actor is doing justice to the character in the book.
Today at church (in another service) I also had the privilege to listen to Iman Hamdy El-Sawaf. Pastor Bruce Robbins and Iman E-Swaf discussed the similarity of the three religions (Judaism, Islam and Christianity) by sharing similar scriptures (Sarah, Abraham, Isaac and Ishmael). I was reminded that we are blessed to be connected together by the same God.
Plus, by watching I also learned that Arabic is read from right to left.
Today at church (in another service) I also had the privilege to listen to Iman Hamdy El-Sawaf. Pastor Bruce Robbins and Iman E-Swaf discussed the similarity of the three religions (Judaism, Islam and Christianity) by sharing similar scriptures (Sarah, Abraham, Isaac and Ishmael). I was reminded that we are blessed to be connected together by the same God.
Plus, by watching I also learned that Arabic is read from right to left.
Comments