Do the Right Thing
Follow your Dreams
Reach for the Stars
Hard Work Pays Off
Perseverance- Hope- Isolation- Triumph- Honesty
These are a few of the theme idea that I listed for my students as they came up with a theme for their seventh grade year. Most of the students have done an excellent job with their Keynote and have found a theme that is fitting of their entire seventh grade year (inside and outside of school). One student either missed the idea of theme or missed much of the schooling he received this year. His theme... wait for it... was "Memorization"... not joking... MEMORIZATION.
Wow! This goes against everything I believe is important in education. I asked them to memorize one poem, so they could perform it for the poetry slam. Most of the time I try to teach that finding information is more important than memorizing it. Memorizing is not learning!
To make the day worse, when I asked a girl to check the capitalization in her title (in which she only had one letter capitalized), she made the one capital letter lower case, so all of the letters were lower case. Are you kidding me? When she was asked about it, she said, "I though you said to uncapitalize it." Uncapitalize? I'm not even sure this is a word.
Obviously, I have failed in my teaching this year. Three days left :(

Comments