“To the home of peace
To the field of love
To the land where forgiveness
and right relationship meet,
We look, O God, with longing
for Earth’s children known.
With compassion for the creatures
With hearts breaking for the nations
and the people we love.
Open us to the visions
we have never known.
Strengthen us for self-givings
we have never made.
Delight us with a oneness
we could never have imagined.
That we may truly be born of you,
Makers of peace.”
~J. Philip Newell
Last Sunday in church we were given a card with this poem/prayer to keep with us and read/reflect upon during lunch. My card has come out the last three days at lunch. Every day I've seen something different in this reading. The first day I looked at "the land where forgiveness and right relationship meet". Today I focused on the words of compassion. I am amazed at the wisdom of these words. They seem especially fitting with the devastation in Japan and the crazy politics in this country. It seems compassion is something in which we could all use a little more. Compassion "for the creatures with hearts breaking for the nations and the people we love". Heck, maybe even a little compassion for the people we don't love.
With compassion, I give thanks for...
1. 50º weather feels good with a little sunshine
2. time to visit the gym
3. great lesson planning (including week after spring break)
Comments