"In Germany they first came for the Communists and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they cam for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me--and by that time no one was left to speak up..
~Pastor Martin Niemoller
I have been following the news and recent legislation that is being passed across the country. Republicans are taking away the rights and money of the middle class while ensuring the rich get richer. Of course I am not the only one upset by these decisions being made and many feel helpless (hopeless). Although I feel a little helpless, I have written letters/emails and attended one protest. Some wonder why I am passionate about these issues. My beliefs (Christianity) and my students (many in poverty) and my life (education, church, friends) make it so I can't help but be involved and care about these issues that affect the majority of Americans (middle class and below middle class). Maybe I can't change the minds of the money hungry Republicans, but I can speak up.
This morning I sat at a language arts workshop with my computer open and posted articles to my Facebook page. I wait for people to unfriend me, but I think most of my "friends" have like beliefs. It is necessary for me to be informed and inform others. Recently I read a comment posted on Facebook. This person, whom I don't know, wondered where the 14 Democrats were during the vote. As I read this, I was deeply distressed wondering how this person was completely uninformed. People need to stay informed. More importantly, people need to use their voice to state their beliefs.
Today I am thankful...
1. workshop focused on media and writing (useful ideas)
2. co-worker/friend who attended the workshop with me and had exciting news
3. fresh cut flowers on the table and sunshine coming in through the windows
Attached Photo:
My attached photo reminds me of the juxtaposition of spring and winter. It seems it is similar to the juxtaposition of some crazed, power hungry Republicans (cold) and middle class America (warm). Yes, I agree. Maybe that was "over the top."
Comments