Jonathan Franzen is the first author of this year's Talking Volume series. I will admit I knew nothing about him until I saw his name on my tickets. Since his book wasn't to be on store shelves until August 31st, and he speaks on September 21st, I didn't know if I was going to purchase the book. When President Obama was given an advanced copy before he went on vacation, it piqued my curiosity. I downloaded it to my Touch and began reading it. In the beginning I wondered, "Is the President really reading this, or did he start it and refuse to finish it?" As I continued to read, I began to appreciate the story and understand the characters although I get the critique by many predominant female authors. One day after I was more than half the way through the book, an Amazon box was delivered to my door. It seems I ordered the hard cover book edition and forgot. Bummer!
Today, still having about one-fourth of the book left, I have another disappointment (bummer). I started reading a NPR article entitled, "Franzen On The Book, The Backlash, His Background". Maybe the article title or first paragraph should have contained SPOILER ALERT! One of the sections is about a major incident that happens in the book which I have not experienced, and I am three-fourths finished. Are you kidding me?
Comments
BTW: I've nominated you for a blog award! Visit me at: http://auntieksgarden.blogspot.com/
to see the details.