Skip to main content

Question I'm Chewing and Perhaps Regurgitating

Today was the second of my three spiritual memoir classes. Class started with a discussion about how personal writing is easier than public writing. I knew the answer to a fellow classmate's question although I can't remember the exact question. It's all about revision. The instructor showed a diagram she had made with the stages of writing. This diagram had a protective bubble around personal writing before the revising and publishing stage.

Later we were asked to think of a question we were chewing on. I started to write, "As I sit and listen, I wonder about my blog. Have I popped the bubble around my own thoughts by making it public? Does my writing suffer because I make no attempt to revise before I publish?"

As I was writing about this, she gave us the true assignment. What memory do you have that centers around when you first faced this question? What memory might help you answer this question?

My memory was of a first writing class in college. Although I put little to no effort into most of my college classes, I was disappointed when no matter what I did, in this writing class, my grades were low to extremely low. Before I had thought of myself as an average writer, soon I realized I was a poor writer. This always stays with me. In reality I often question my teaching. How can I teach writing when I am a lousy writer? Today as I was thinking about "popping the bubble around my personal thoughts", I felt a bit of fear. Should I worry more about what people think as they read my blog? Should I make some attempt to revise my blog? Should I make my blog less public?

The answers are basically no. "It is what it is..." Although I don't have a lot of confidence in my no answers, they remain an almost firm no. After all it isn't really writing, it's more regurgitating thoughts. Besides the readership is quite low. Most people don't even know I have a blog, so the answers are almost certainly no.

Comments

GardenGoddess said…
Okay, prepare for a ramble. I'm not sure I believe that personal writing is easier than public writing. Public writing comes in two forms (at least) -- one is to teach or inform. There's very little "self" involed in that kind of public writing. Does that make it harder than writing for yourself? The other kind of public writing reveals something about yourself, either part of your story or your opinion, and there's risk in that writing that doesn't exist in the other kind of public writing--a kind of risk that doesn't exist at all with private writing.

I don't know how the instructor classified "private" writing, but I can think of a few kinds: journals, letter writing (but that's TO someone else, so is it really private?) to do lists. It's been my experience that each of those things gets edited or revised. You cross off "cheese" on the grocery list and write "hvarti" and "cheddar." Or, you write, "I had a great day today," in your journal and cross it off and scribble in something else. I can't think of any kind of writing that doesn't involve some kind of editing or revision and I've read my share of letters and diaries as transcription projects.

I think that if you are happy with the way the text works out, you don't really need to worry about what others think, do you? But, if you look at it and think, hmmm. this could use a tweak or two, then you have two choices -- make the tweaks and make the writing "better" and yourself happier, or don't make the tweaks, in which case you have to live with the your internal dissonance and the readers get less than your best effort.

With regard to your blog in particular, the title of the blog helps shape the expectations of the readers--letters to an anonymous audience about the things that are important to you.

And, all writing is thoughts. Some writers weave them into a plot for a mystery. Others craft them into a poem. And, still others blog about current issues.

Blessings on you as you continue to write and teach writing and provoke others with good questions.
Anonymous said…
Mary, as you say your blog readership is low but it is all people who care about you and will not be judging you, so there is really no need to edit it. I love it because although we are apart, ti allows me to still feel close to you. Keep it up!

Popular posts from this blog

Sankalpa Day 5

Today I went back to the interweb to find out what I could post about that would relate to sankalpa .  "...Sankalpa has the potential to release tremendous power by clearly defining and focusing on a chosen goal."  My chosen goal since May has truly been on being physically active.  Since it's cold and miserable out, I've been being active inside instead of outside.  December 6th (or something like that) was the last time I ventured outside for physical activity.  I, however, have still been going to they gym and focusing on being physically fit (or at least burning enough calories to eat more food).  Yesterday I received an early morning text from a friend in God's Country .  President Obama was talking about "The President's Challenge" .  Today (I tried yesterday and decided to put it off until today... forget out it... let it happen... put it aside... clear my mind of it... all probably sankalpa) I formed a group.  The...

What if... The Delivery

  Molly was excited to get a package from her friend who lives in Alaska.  When she opened the box, she was confused.  Although the shirt was actually soft and of good quality, she was upset by the guns in the flag.  When she googled Holster's, it was exactly what she thought... pro-gun.  She didn't know how to handle the situation, so she sent a picture stating she was confused. Her friend had obviously lost her mind.  During the conversation, she kept proclaiming that she hadn't sent a t-shirt.  When Molly explained it was her writing on the box, things became weird.  The friend was in a state of denial.  Molly even sent a text with a picture of the writing on the box. Molly's friend was adamant that she sent homemade condiments.  She wouldn't give up on her story even though it was clear Molly is in possession of an NRA type t-shirt.  After much deliberation, the two friends realized what had happened.  The original box, wit...

Missing You

Two Sundays ago I missed church because I was out of town. Last Sunday I missed church because I could not get to church due to the marathon (blocking my path... not my running). Dad and I tried to leave early, but we did not leave early enough. I joked with Dad about the fact that they would miss me at church. When I checked my e-mail this evening, I actually had an e-mail from my pastor saying I was missed. It was a short e-mail, but it was sweet and definitely a positive part of my day.