This plant was loaned to me over the summer because I really liked it. Because my cat also liked it, it had to live outside on the deck. Now I would like to get it into better shape, so it can come inside (at school away from the cat). It has many issues although I'm not sure that it was in perfect health when I received it. I'm scared to repot it because I'm not sure what it is or how it works. The entire plant obviously isn't dead because the new green shoots are fabulous. When I tried to take a piece to grow roots, nothing happened. Maybe I wasn't patient enough. Please give me advice. What can I do to save this fabulous plant, whatever it's name. Any suggestions?
This plant was loaned to me over the summer because I really liked it. Because my cat also liked it, it had to live outside on the deck. Now I would like to get it into better shape, so it can come inside (at school away from the cat). It has many issues although I'm not sure that it was in perfect health when I received it. I'm scared to repot it because I'm not sure what it is or how it works. The entire plant obviously isn't dead because the new green shoots are fabulous. When I tried to take a piece to grow roots, nothing happened. Maybe I wasn't patient enough. Please give me advice. What can I do to save this fabulous plant, whatever it's name. Any suggestions?
Comments
This looks like a cactus or plant in the succulent family. I'd get a new pot (use potting soil for cacti/succulents) and cut the brown pieces off and stick the green growing pieces in. Water well and they should take. If you want help, let me know. I'm happy to take a shot at it.
It is called a "hen and chicks" plant - or at least that is what my mom always called them.
I would also use a different pot than the one that they were living in.
Other than that.... just go for it :)