Yea! Today I get to "stand on my soapbox" as I blog about the letter C (Notice how I stayed, almost, away from saying 'C' word?).


Cows- I am trying to be more aware of what I eat thanks to Michael Pollen and others like him. For example, when I eat meat, I prefer to eat buffalo or free range chicken or grass fed beef. Since I'm in Iowa, I went in search of a cow. When I asked my friend, who grew up on a farm, where I could find a cow, she said find a gravel road and drive. I was looking for something a bit more specific. My dad and another friend each sent me in a different direction, and I think it proves my point. Which cows do you think seems happier, the ones in the feed lot or the ones in the field? Which cows do you think are healthier?
My first experience with a cow coincided with my first year of teaching. I was teaching in a small town (really, really small) in the middle of South Dakota (ranching country). Rudy (more later on P is for Pew... if I remember) was this old man in town. We were talking, and I mentioned that even though I grew up in Iowa, I had never touched or been close to a cow. He drove me out to his farm and right next to a cow. They are huge. I put my hand out the window and touched the cow in complete amazement at the size of it and its eyeball.
Corn- "Knee high by the Fourth of July" is a saying I always heard growing up in Iowa. This has always confused me because it's always higher. I'd say it's currently chest high. Everything is made with corn, and I find it appalling. When I was first reading Omnivore's Dilemma, I called my father and asked if he received government subsidy for his corn. Of course he does... are you kidding me. We shouldn't subsidize something that is taking over the food industry. Hey, I have an idea; let's put some of that money into schools instead of the seed companies through the farmers. Did I mention my aversion to all the genetically and chemically altered seeds?
Cops- It's the Fourth of July weekend in Okoboji. In my teens and twenties, this meant PARTY!! In the last ten to fifteen years, it's also meant cop central for the Lakes Area. Last night in a short two mile drive home on a fairly "back road", I passed two cops. One had it's lights flashing. I already knew cops would be one of my word for today, so I circled back to get a picture of the flashing lights. Suddenly common sense kicked in. July 4th for area cops is like feeding steroids to already muscular football players; they hype up a bit too much. Around noon I saw another cop with it's lights flashing. We were passing on the road. I asked if I could get a picture with his lights flashing, and he replied he had another call. Busy, busy, busy, these Lakes Area cops on the 4th, well at least in their minds.
I also want to throw down with the postcard option, so I can hang with the cool kids. Anyone who comments on any of my July blog challenge posts and e-mails (miscellaneousmissives@gmail.com) me their address will receive a postcard from wonderful Okoboji. Woo Hoo! It will be fun receiving snail mail.
Cows- I am trying to be more aware of what I eat thanks to Michael Pollen and others like him. For example, when I eat meat, I prefer to eat buffalo or free range chicken or grass fed beef. Since I'm in Iowa, I went in search of a cow. When I asked my friend, who grew up on a farm, where I could find a cow, she said find a gravel road and drive. I was looking for something a bit more specific. My dad and another friend each sent me in a different direction, and I think it proves my point. Which cows do you think seems happier, the ones in the feed lot or the ones in the field? Which cows do you think are healthier?
My first experience with a cow coincided with my first year of teaching. I was teaching in a small town (really, really small) in the middle of South Dakota (ranching country). Rudy (more later on P is for Pew... if I remember) was this old man in town. We were talking, and I mentioned that even though I grew up in Iowa, I had never touched or been close to a cow. He drove me out to his farm and right next to a cow. They are huge. I put my hand out the window and touched the cow in complete amazement at the size of it and its eyeball.
Corn- "Knee high by the Fourth of July" is a saying I always heard growing up in Iowa. This has always confused me because it's always higher. I'd say it's currently chest high. Everything is made with corn, and I find it appalling. When I was first reading Omnivore's Dilemma, I called my father and asked if he received government subsidy for his corn. Of course he does... are you kidding me. We shouldn't subsidize something that is taking over the food industry. Hey, I have an idea; let's put some of that money into schools instead of the seed companies through the farmers. Did I mention my aversion to all the genetically and chemically altered seeds?
Cops- It's the Fourth of July weekend in Okoboji. In my teens and twenties, this meant PARTY!! In the last ten to fifteen years, it's also meant cop central for the Lakes Area. Last night in a short two mile drive home on a fairly "back road", I passed two cops. One had it's lights flashing. I already knew cops would be one of my word for today, so I circled back to get a picture of the flashing lights. Suddenly common sense kicked in. July 4th for area cops is like feeding steroids to already muscular football players; they hype up a bit too much. Around noon I saw another cop with it's lights flashing. We were passing on the road. I asked if I could get a picture with his lights flashing, and he replied he had another call. Busy, busy, busy, these Lakes Area cops on the 4th, well at least in their minds.
I also want to throw down with the postcard option, so I can hang with the cool kids. Anyone who comments on any of my July blog challenge posts and e-mails (miscellaneousmissives@gmail.com) me their address will receive a postcard from wonderful Okoboji. Woo Hoo! It will be fun receiving snail mail.
Comments