"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven..."
~Ecclesiastes 3
Tonight's church book club was started with verses from Ecclesiastes. We went around the table and read a verse from this chapter. I almost missed my turn as I was focused on "...a time to break down and a time to build up..." We were discussing the novel Olive Kitteridge. Many discussed the tragedies and sorrows that consumed Olive's life and the lives of those around her. I mentioned Olive is an onion with many layers. Then again, aren't we all onions with many layers. The novel is written as a series of short stories forming the novel of Olive and those many people around her. The writing is amazing, but the story is equally as intense. "Feel good" moments are sparse in the novel, but I feel as though this also is somewhat true in reality. With all the sorrows, we are still left with hope. Sometimes the hope and promise are a bit more difficult to grasp, but they are there if we choose to reach for them. This week has been a bit difficult for reasons other than the last week of school. Tonight I am reminded that with sorrows come hopes, with the break down come a time to rebuild.
~Ecclesiastes 3
Tonight's church book club was started with verses from Ecclesiastes. We went around the table and read a verse from this chapter. I almost missed my turn as I was focused on "...a time to break down and a time to build up..." We were discussing the novel Olive Kitteridge. Many discussed the tragedies and sorrows that consumed Olive's life and the lives of those around her. I mentioned Olive is an onion with many layers. Then again, aren't we all onions with many layers. The novel is written as a series of short stories forming the novel of Olive and those many people around her. The writing is amazing, but the story is equally as intense. "Feel good" moments are sparse in the novel, but I feel as though this also is somewhat true in reality. With all the sorrows, we are still left with hope. Sometimes the hope and promise are a bit more difficult to grasp, but they are there if we choose to reach for them. This week has been a bit difficult for reasons other than the last week of school. Tonight I am reminded that with sorrows come hopes, with the break down come a time to rebuild.
Comments