Earlier this spring I read Mike Mattos' book, Pyramid Response to Intervention: RTI, Professional Learning Communities, and How to Respond When Kids Don't Learn, in order to prepare for his visit it our school district. I signed up for today's presentation because many of the things we do in our building fit his book. Today's presentation was attended by people from all of the secondary schools in the district. It was a long day mainly filled with lecture. This gave me the opportunity to check facts about the presenter as I listened. More importantly it also gave me the opportunity to scan the room and be thankful for the people with whom I work. Of course, it is all in the way I view things, but it allowed me to make some snide comments.
1) One teacher at another school is (at least was when I worked with her) known for leaving her class unattended for long periods of time, coming late, leaving early, and calling in sick at least once a week. What is she doing on a leadership team for the building? More importantly, what does it say about the building.
2) One administrator came in late and spent most of the time flitting in and out of the room. Later I did realize this person wouldn't be in the district next year, but I also see her as attention seeking which goes more with the flitting in and out of the room, so people notice.
3) When the speaker was talking about a student who had problems of abuse at home, he asked what would be the next step. "Call the police," yelled a teacher from one of the high school tables. Really? I think she meant to say talk with the counselor which of course was the speaker's solution.
1) One teacher at another school is (at least was when I worked with her) known for leaving her class unattended for long periods of time, coming late, leaving early, and calling in sick at least once a week. What is she doing on a leadership team for the building? More importantly, what does it say about the building.
2) One administrator came in late and spent most of the time flitting in and out of the room. Later I did realize this person wouldn't be in the district next year, but I also see her as attention seeking which goes more with the flitting in and out of the room, so people notice.
3) When the speaker was talking about a student who had problems of abuse at home, he asked what would be the next step. "Call the police," yelled a teacher from one of the high school tables. Really? I think she meant to say talk with the counselor which of course was the speaker's solution.
Comments