I am watching Countdown with Keith Olbermann instead of going to Bodypump because I don't have any plans to leave my couch until I go to bed.
I'm always amazed at media and how the information we receive. This week my I am discussing media literacy with my class. Friday we talked about Facebook and privacy through the use of political cartoons. Today we talked about logos and the techniques of advertisers. The one thing that I can't seem to introduce without being "preachy" is the fact that most (all) media (news, television, movies, internet, etc.) is tainted by money. Tonight Keith Olbermann showed how BP has paid for a link on Google. When one searches BP oil spill, the top ad is a BP ad with the tag, "Info about the Gulf of Mexico Spill Learn More about How BP is Helping." It seems it's the same with other searches because the have also bought the algorithm, so the BP links are always the first links leaving true searching and information difficult. Go to Yahoo or Google and try it!
I'm always amazed at media and how the information we receive. This week my I am discussing media literacy with my class. Friday we talked about Facebook and privacy through the use of political cartoons. Today we talked about logos and the techniques of advertisers. The one thing that I can't seem to introduce without being "preachy" is the fact that most (all) media (news, television, movies, internet, etc.) is tainted by money. Tonight Keith Olbermann showed how BP has paid for a link on Google. When one searches BP oil spill, the top ad is a BP ad with the tag, "Info about the Gulf of Mexico Spill Learn More about How BP is Helping." It seems it's the same with other searches because the have also bought the algorithm, so the BP links are always the first links leaving true searching and information difficult. Go to Yahoo or Google and try it!
Comments