This morning's Pentecost service started with the typical Pentecost scripture which always seems to bring a chuckle (it's not even 9am of course, so they can't be drunk). Added to the scripture were poems and verses about the wind (including the Holy Spirit). This was followed by a sensory activity based on trees. We were asked to close our eyes and picture a group of trees. This led us to an individual tree including all senses relating to the tree. My journey did not start out peaceful. I could only think of the white seeds floating around sticking to my screens and everything else. As the speaker continued my journey became more peaceful. Later we blessed a tree near the church which was planted to replace a large tree taken by diseases.
I appreciate the uniqueness of the service, but it doesn't take away all this white mess. When I left for my walk today, I passed a neighbor who was trying to sweep up the mess near her door. Commenting on the never ending battle, I discussed the cottonwood seeds, "Does this happen again in the fall?" She said this wasn't the case, but that it does happen again in a month or so. She also suggested taking a hairdryer and blowing the seeds back out of my screens. For some reason I think this is similar to "spitting in the wind."
Comments