Tuesday while reading other people's blog (and listening to a wonderful literacy podcast), I was intrigued by Poem in Your Pocket Day. After looking briefly at the link Tuesday night, I e-mailed my principal, the literacy lead, and another colleague. Since we had MCA testing Wednesday morning, my e-mail was of no importance. At 11:39AM my principal replied with the following e-mail message, "I love the idea - how would it look with only a week to plan?" This was obviously a good question for which I really didn't have a firm answer. As soon as I had a break, I went to find the literacy lead. She was teaching and came up to my room when she was done around 12:30 pm. Next I spoke with the other colleague (my 7th grade LA counterpart) and the media director. As I was walking through the hall, I ran into (almost literally) my principal again. By 2:20pm we had Poem in Your Pocket Day completely planned, including prizes, ideas for upcoming news shows, mentions in podcasts, wall of poems, etc., and communicated to staff. If all goes as planned, everyone (students, staff, and administration) will be involved. I love my school! It is amazing how well everything came together... not a bad day's work.
April Book Connection
As far as actual literacy (reading) I started Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls. I am not too far in the book, but I don't think I'll like it as well as Glass Castle. It seems to be missing something that is difficult to name. Maybe it doesn't seem to have as much emotion. At first I was thinking it was too early to tell, but if you read Glass Castle and remember it, it starts immediately with her falling out of the car. This book seems to be missing something. Yes, this is unfair since I haven't read much. I may completely change my mind in another 20 pages.
As far as other literacy, last night we had an interesting discussion about the F word on the golf course. We were talking about the wonder of the word and how it could be used for almost every part of speech. I decided that it couldn't be used as a conjunction or preposition. The guys weren't sure, but I think they were entertained that I could give an example for the remaining parts of speech. Am I wrong?
April Book Connection
As far as actual literacy (reading) I started Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls. I am not too far in the book, but I don't think I'll like it as well as Glass Castle. It seems to be missing something that is difficult to name. Maybe it doesn't seem to have as much emotion. At first I was thinking it was too early to tell, but if you read Glass Castle and remember it, it starts immediately with her falling out of the car. This book seems to be missing something. Yes, this is unfair since I haven't read much. I may completely change my mind in another 20 pages.
As far as other literacy, last night we had an interesting discussion about the F word on the golf course. We were talking about the wonder of the word and how it could be used for almost every part of speech. I decided that it couldn't be used as a conjunction or preposition. The guys weren't sure, but I think they were entertained that I could give an example for the remaining parts of speech. Am I wrong?
Comments