When I opened my e-mail at school today, I noticed an e-mail from my brother. He sent me the pdf of a Harper's Magazine article from 1964. Immediately I realized this was something I needed to read when I was home and it was a bit quieter. After reading this article, I tried to find a link and happened upon a Firedoglake blog entry. Political paranoia and the Republican party... then and now.
"Events since 1939 have given the contemporary right-wing paranoid a vast theatre for his imagination, full of rich and proliferating detail, replete with realistic cues and undeniable proofs of the validity of his suspicions..."
Does any of this sound familiar?
April Book Connection
Today my morning classes were being productive and quiet in the computer lab. They really didn't need me, and I was getting a bit bored. Actually I was also being a bit loud and disruptive, so I decided to check out a book from the media center. The first page of this young adult book talked about a Nancy Drew book. "...The Bungalow Mystery, and began flipping the pages, laughing at the corny descriptions: 'Nancy, blue eyed, and with reddish glints in her blonde hair...'" Immediately I remembered the cover of this Nancy Drew book, or at least a Nancy Drew book. Next, I decided it would be a good reminder of imagery and shared it with the students. Sometimes it's really difficult for me to sit back and let them work.
"Events since 1939 have given the contemporary right-wing paranoid a vast theatre for his imagination, full of rich and proliferating detail, replete with realistic cues and undeniable proofs of the validity of his suspicions..."
Does any of this sound familiar?
April Book Connection
Today my morning classes were being productive and quiet in the computer lab. They really didn't need me, and I was getting a bit bored. Actually I was also being a bit loud and disruptive, so I decided to check out a book from the media center. The first page of this young adult book talked about a Nancy Drew book. "...The Bungalow Mystery, and began flipping the pages, laughing at the corny descriptions: 'Nancy, blue eyed, and with reddish glints in her blonde hair...'" Immediately I remembered the cover of this Nancy Drew book, or at least a Nancy Drew book. Next, I decided it would be a good reminder of imagery and shared it with the students. Sometimes it's really difficult for me to sit back and let them work.
Comments