Each Saturday I walk the Greenway to the Uptown YWCA for Bodypump. The last couple weeks has been wonderful. It's easier to walk when things are blooming than it is when it's icy and cold. Even with my iTouch playing this morning, I could hear this man and his anguish. "I don't see any vibrant color or..., " he complained. "Hmmm," I thought, "Is this man blind?" Maybe there isn't "vibrant color," but things are blooming all over the place. This evening I retraced the beginning (1/6) of my walk on the Greenway and took pictures. Maybe I view things differently.
April Book Connection
Wow! This evening I finished The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. On page 401 of 405 I realized the meaning of the title.
"So God just leaves?" John asked, angry where Emilio had been desolate. "Abandons creation? You're on your own apes. Good luck!"
"No. He watches. He rejoices. He weeps. He observes the moral drama of life and gives meaning to it by caring passionately about us, and remembering."
"Matthew ten, verse twenty-nine," Vincenzo Guiliani said quietly. "'Not one sparrow can fall to the ground without your Father knowing it.'"
"But the sparrow still falls," Felipe said.
They sat for a while, wrapped in their private musings.
This is not a spoiler to the book. The book is about more than God. As I mentioned before, my classmate's book club discussed the book without mentioning God.
I don't really know how to summarize the book, but it is absolutely amazing. It's about science, religion, human nature... Oh, I really don't know. Very few books challenge me in the way this book did. It's certainly not a "feel good" book, but it's an incredible novel.
I would love to know if anyone else has read it.
Comments