Last night I was reminded that today's service would be a combination of two services (Big Church and Sacred Journey). Driving to church this morning, I wondered what big name guest speaker was bringing these to services together until I noticed the sign and remembered... Earth Sunday Celebration. Sometimes we spend Earth Day (week, whatever) concentrating on the negatives, but perhaps it should be a celebration. On the actual Earth Day, a colleague (world's greatest science teacher) concentrated on the positives (composting with Earth worms and what could be done) instead of the negatives (plastic pile in the middle of the ocean).
Of course today's service also concentrated on the positives and our responsibility. My favorite readings were from Chief Seattle (“Man does not weave this web of life. He is merely a strand of it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.”) and from Psalms. The Psalms reading was part of the children's sermon and the children needed to say "Praise God" in a voice the things (snakes, angels, thunder clouds, etc.) mentioned in the Psalm would use. I will admit that I spent the entire time of the anthem which followed (great because the choir makes me tense and crabby) reading through Psalms trying to find the Psalm from which she was reading (Psalm 148). Today's service was a good reminder that today (and everyday) I will celebrate the wonders of the Earth and vow to do my part to sustain the Earth.
April Book Connection
I should write about reading through the Psalms; it might be more interesting. As mentioned last night, I decided to make a decision on Half Broke Horses. Today I read more and decided to finish it (might be the post every day until the end of April). My decision is it's not that the book is necessarily bad or boring or whatever. It's that the book isn't meeting my expectations as I compare it to Glass Castle, so as of today I will no longer compare the books. I will take this book for what it is a single story not a continuation of the other book.
Of course today's service also concentrated on the positives and our responsibility. My favorite readings were from Chief Seattle (“Man does not weave this web of life. He is merely a strand of it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.”) and from Psalms. The Psalms reading was part of the children's sermon and the children needed to say "Praise God" in a voice the things (snakes, angels, thunder clouds, etc.) mentioned in the Psalm would use. I will admit that I spent the entire time of the anthem which followed (great because the choir makes me tense and crabby) reading through Psalms trying to find the Psalm from which she was reading (Psalm 148). Today's service was a good reminder that today (and everyday) I will celebrate the wonders of the Earth and vow to do my part to sustain the Earth.
April Book Connection
I should write about reading through the Psalms; it might be more interesting. As mentioned last night, I decided to make a decision on Half Broke Horses. Today I read more and decided to finish it (might be the post every day until the end of April). My decision is it's not that the book is necessarily bad or boring or whatever. It's that the book isn't meeting my expectations as I compare it to Glass Castle, so as of today I will no longer compare the books. I will take this book for what it is a single story not a continuation of the other book.
Comments