I Want to Write from October Journey by Margaret Walker
I want to write
I want to write the songs of my people.
I want to hear them singing melodies in the dark.
I want to catch the last floating strains from their sob-torn throats.
I want to frame their dreams into words; their souls into notes.
I want to catch their sunshine laughter in a bowl;
fling dark hands to a darker sky
and fill them full of stars
then crush and mix such lights till they become
a mirrored pool of brilliance in the dawn.
I returned from Avatar to read this in my devotional. For some reason I found it fitting. Watching the movie made me wonder what people who have different political, environmental, and spiritual views from me think as they watch this movie. Are they oblivious? Do they get that we, America in our search for oil, are the bad guys? One criticism of the movie is that it is too simplistic. Of course I would argue that it isn't, but maybe it is and that is what is needed. It seems to me that James Cameron was able to "catch the last floating strains from their sob-torn throats" and make "a mirrored pool of brilliance in the dawn."
I want to write
I want to write the songs of my people.
I want to hear them singing melodies in the dark.
I want to catch the last floating strains from their sob-torn throats.
I want to frame their dreams into words; their souls into notes.
I want to catch their sunshine laughter in a bowl;
fling dark hands to a darker sky
and fill them full of stars
then crush and mix such lights till they become
a mirrored pool of brilliance in the dawn.
I returned from Avatar to read this in my devotional. For some reason I found it fitting. Watching the movie made me wonder what people who have different political, environmental, and spiritual views from me think as they watch this movie. Are they oblivious? Do they get that we, America in our search for oil, are the bad guys? One criticism of the movie is that it is too simplistic. Of course I would argue that it isn't, but maybe it is and that is what is needed. It seems to me that James Cameron was able to "catch the last floating strains from their sob-torn throats" and make "a mirrored pool of brilliance in the dawn."
Comments