It seems the cold weather has left me sluggish. Yesterday's post was from Wednesday, and today's post is from yesterday. Maybe I'll catch up tomorrow.
Yesterday was a reminder of why I teach middle school. As the quarter ended, we finished up a research unit which included: paraphrasing, an outline, a five paragraph essay and a Photobooth presentation. Since it's the end of the quarter, I was not able to grade the five paragraph essays. In fact I gave this information to the students a week ago.
I ended class yesterday explaining, once again, that the five paragraph essay would be the first grade of the third quarter. We talked about how they could get it done and the importance of this being the first grade of a newquarter. After I had reminded the class that it was a twenty-five point assignment, I had a student raise his hand.
J- How many points is it?
Thwack! A hits his head on the desk. Let's explain A. He received six out of 43 points on his outline because he doesn't always pay the best attention.
Me- A, would you please explain to J why you smacked your forehead on the desk?
A- She like has had it on the board for a really long time and talks about it every day. It's TWENTY-FIVE POINTS.
Me- Thanks A. Although I would not want you to smack your head on the desk again even if it's a similar situation, I appreciate your help with today's question.
Me- Plus, J, I said the point total just before you raised your hand.
I guess I'm not the only frustrated with J's "dumb questions, and yes, my friend, there are dumb questions!
Yesterday was a reminder of why I teach middle school. As the quarter ended, we finished up a research unit which included: paraphrasing, an outline, a five paragraph essay and a Photobooth presentation. Since it's the end of the quarter, I was not able to grade the five paragraph essays. In fact I gave this information to the students a week ago.
I ended class yesterday explaining, once again, that the five paragraph essay would be the first grade of the third quarter. We talked about how they could get it done and the importance of this being the first grade of a newquarter. After I had reminded the class that it was a twenty-five point assignment, I had a student raise his hand.
J- How many points is it?
Thwack! A hits his head on the desk. Let's explain A. He received six out of 43 points on his outline because he doesn't always pay the best attention.
Me- A, would you please explain to J why you smacked your forehead on the desk?
A- She like has had it on the board for a really long time and talks about it every day. It's TWENTY-FIVE POINTS.
Me- Thanks A. Although I would not want you to smack your head on the desk again even if it's a similar situation, I appreciate your help with today's question.
Me- Plus, J, I said the point total just before you raised your hand.
I guess I'm not the only frustrated with J's "dumb questions, and yes, my friend, there are dumb questions!
Comments