Prayer time in my church service is sacred and humbling. During prayer time people use their hand to bring their hand to their heart then release it towards the sky. Today's prayers were sobering. Prayers included: a two week old baby who had passed, Haiti, corporations are not people, 90+ parent's birthday and difficulties of aging, man surviving semi accident and wondering why, the congregations collecting over 1,100 last week for Haiti impulsively, etc. Towards the end of prayer time a lady had the nerve to pray for the Vikings. It was completely inappropriate. Of course I did not bring this prayer to my heart and release it. I also noticed that the gentleman and couple next to me did not.
Although I dislike the bandwagon Viking fans dressed in their new Favre jerseys, this goes beyond this dislike. Church is not the place especially surrounded by the prayers that were lifted up. Of course, I have prayed (in my head) during a close game or for a team to win, but this is similar to praying that the cop that pulled me over wouldn't give me a ticket. It's nothing that should happen in church. Shame, Shame... My guess this merely gives more blessings to the Saints.
Although I dislike the bandwagon Viking fans dressed in their new Favre jerseys, this goes beyond this dislike. Church is not the place especially surrounded by the prayers that were lifted up. Of course, I have prayed (in my head) during a close game or for a team to win, but this is similar to praying that the cop that pulled me over wouldn't give me a ticket. It's nothing that should happen in church. Shame, Shame... My guess this merely gives more blessings to the Saints.
Comments