Yesterday the students started reading various stories from Guys Write for Guys Read. It is the perfect way to cruise into winter break. These are short (very short) stories the students enjoy reading. I've even had some of my lower readers ask to check the books out!
Today as the were reading, a young lady came up and ask me about a word.
"What is this word?" she questioned. I looked at the page to see her pointing to the word "bloke."
"Bloke. It's a slang term. It's an old word. We don't really use it. I think it means a guy who is kind of... well not maybe the smartest." At this point oaf came to mind. I knew this wouldn't help, so I continued, "It's a term that wasn't even used when I was young." At this point I knew I lost the battle as I saw the look of disbelief in her eyes that said," "How old can this word be?"
What does it mean anyway? Is their a definition for this English slang term?
Even with this minor setback, things are going smoothly as they read the stories and write about the prompts.
Today as the were reading, a young lady came up and ask me about a word.
"What is this word?" she questioned. I looked at the page to see her pointing to the word "bloke."
"Bloke. It's a slang term. It's an old word. We don't really use it. I think it means a guy who is kind of... well not maybe the smartest." At this point oaf came to mind. I knew this wouldn't help, so I continued, "It's a term that wasn't even used when I was young." At this point I knew I lost the battle as I saw the look of disbelief in her eyes that said," "How old can this word be?"
What does it mean anyway? Is their a definition for this English slang term?
Even with this minor setback, things are going smoothly as they read the stories and write about the prompts.
Comments