Today I went to an African American literacy conference. One session I went to was on the spoken word. We were each given a some words (form poem) to get us started writing a quick poem. It was to show the ease at which someone can start a poem. I will probably use it this year as my students write poems.
I'm from God's country
corrupted by meth and corporate America
where people always visit
but rarely stay
The lakes' beauty is bountiful.
The lakes' shores are dwindling.
The lakes' charm remains.
I'm from
summer
sun
sitting on the beach
winter
white
shoveling the snow
I'm from a tourist trap.
A place that thrives in the summer
and dies in the winter
The sky knows my name.
People know my name.
I'm from home.
God's country where people know my name.
I'm from God's country
corrupted by meth and corporate America
where people always visit
but rarely stay
The lakes' beauty is bountiful.
The lakes' shores are dwindling.
The lakes' charm remains.
I'm from
summer
sun
sitting on the beach
winter
white
shoveling the snow
I'm from a tourist trap.
A place that thrives in the summer
and dies in the winter
The sky knows my name.
People know my name.
I'm from home.
God's country where people know my name.
Comments