Worship was a bit different today since Walter Wink was speaking at the 9:30 service in the sanctuary ("big church"). The Sacred Journey (my service) met for a half hour in celebration of All Saints Day. Then we went into "big church" to hear Walter Wink's message of peace. It only took me a couple of minutes in big church before I was tense and not relaxed as I am in Sacred Journey. I think it's the attitude, the music, the organ and perhaps foremost the choir (which goes with attitude) that makes me feel uptight. The feeling is quite conservative although that is not at all true. Fortunately the children's sermon brought relaxation and laughter as the paster at one point commented to the children, "You are not working with me."
I was please to be able to hear Walter Wink since I have read one of his books. When he started talking it reminded me that big church is certainly not conservative. One thing he pointed out was "the only group to see Christ as violent instead of nonviolent" was the Christians. He spoke a lot of the Native American Indians and how Christians blocked Black Elk's vision of "light and hope for a desperate community." At one point, he even compared reservations to concentration camps. His main theme seemed to be without a vision, people perish. He talked about how often the vast majority of racism, lack of equal right, and persecution is often exploited in the name of Christianity. Some of what he said was disjointed, but the message of peace and nonviolence was clear.
I will admit I left early as soon as he was done speaking and wasn't surprised that many members of my service did too. Although I was a bit uncomfortable to start, it was probably worth taking the time to listen to the message. It makes me realize how we live is as important as anything and reminds me to breath and relax.
I was please to be able to hear Walter Wink since I have read one of his books. When he started talking it reminded me that big church is certainly not conservative. One thing he pointed out was "the only group to see Christ as violent instead of nonviolent" was the Christians. He spoke a lot of the Native American Indians and how Christians blocked Black Elk's vision of "light and hope for a desperate community." At one point, he even compared reservations to concentration camps. His main theme seemed to be without a vision, people perish. He talked about how often the vast majority of racism, lack of equal right, and persecution is often exploited in the name of Christianity. Some of what he said was disjointed, but the message of peace and nonviolence was clear.
I will admit I left early as soon as he was done speaking and wasn't surprised that many members of my service did too. Although I was a bit uncomfortable to start, it was probably worth taking the time to listen to the message. It makes me realize how we live is as important as anything and reminds me to breath and relax.
Comments