President Obama is speaking to students on Tuesday, September 8th at 11 am (central time). I learned about this Sunday night while having dinner with friends and spoke to my principal about it on Monday. He knew of this and had prepared to talk to the staff about it. Instead of having the entire school watch it, he left it up to the teachers. This is no surprise since it is often how he does things.
Today we received a memo from the district. Although I didn't read the entire e-mail, I was a bit confused and appalled. I e-mailed a "What?" message to my principal and am waiting for a reply (actually he replied but needs to look into it further). It seems the district initially suggested that it might be a good idea for all students to listen to the message calling students to be "responsible for their learning." Obama will also "call for a shared responsibility and commitment on part of students, parents, and eductators to ensure that every child in every school receives the best education possible, so they can compete in the global economy..."
Hmmm, sounds like a good message, but WAIT! Now the district is retracting its message of it might be a good idea for the entire school to watch it because "Some are suggesting the President will not stick with the reported message and that this is intended as a political message and will be an attempt to influence students to some particular way of thinking." No, I am not making this up. I am quoting from the e-mail. Some people are completely crazed. Do they think he's going to bring up health care reform to the students? My colleague and I had already decided to screen it Tuesday or Wednesday then show part or all on Thursday. Maybe we're merely trying to "influence students to some particular way of thinking." Yeah! We're trying to influence them to take school seriously and use it as a way to better their lives... DUH!
Today we received a memo from the district. Although I didn't read the entire e-mail, I was a bit confused and appalled. I e-mailed a "What?" message to my principal and am waiting for a reply (actually he replied but needs to look into it further). It seems the district initially suggested that it might be a good idea for all students to listen to the message calling students to be "responsible for their learning." Obama will also "call for a shared responsibility and commitment on part of students, parents, and eductators to ensure that every child in every school receives the best education possible, so they can compete in the global economy..."
Hmmm, sounds like a good message, but WAIT! Now the district is retracting its message of it might be a good idea for the entire school to watch it because "Some are suggesting the President will not stick with the reported message and that this is intended as a political message and will be an attempt to influence students to some particular way of thinking." No, I am not making this up. I am quoting from the e-mail. Some people are completely crazed. Do they think he's going to bring up health care reform to the students? My colleague and I had already decided to screen it Tuesday or Wednesday then show part or all on Thursday. Maybe we're merely trying to "influence students to some particular way of thinking." Yeah! We're trying to influence them to take school seriously and use it as a way to better their lives... DUH!
Comments