Recently I was asked how I decided whether to purchase a book or check it out from the library. I thought this was a wonderful question and had to admit that I wasn't really sure. One thing I realize is that I tend to purchase more than I borrow. If I'm not sure if I'm going to like the novel, I go to the library. This often happens if I've read a short review (often from my Bookmarks magazine.) and feel I should read a book. Today a colleague recommended a book, so I immediately went to hclib.org to check it out. When I realized there were five copies and 151 requests, I decided to call Magers and Quinn to see if they had a copy. Obviously a book with 151 requests warrants a purchase.
It is definitely financially savvy to use the library, and I'm happy my tax dollars support the library system. Sometimes, however, I am a little disgusted by library copies. For example, the book I finished had a thumb sized stain of something brown (I'm hoping chocolate.) on one of the latter pages in the book. If I had noticed it in the beginning, I might have chose a different option. I'm fairly certain I do not leave thumb sized stains in the books I read.
Comments