
This morning I arrived at the golf course early since it was my first time playing in the morning women's golf league. Since I wasn't sure how it worked, I asked a couple women who looked friendly. They explained that it's a small group, and I should go off first with Judy's group. Judy wasn't pleased as she stated, "We have a fourth person going with us." At that comment Judy and the other two headed for the first tee. I sat and tried to converse with the other women, and they assured me I would find a group. Did I mention I am at least ten years younger than most (all?) the women? Finally one women pointed at the group of three and said, "They only have three today. You should go down and play with them." Another woman commented, "Good luck."
I walked down to the three and asked if their fourth was coming. "It doesn't look like it. You just as well play with us," one of the ladies sighed while Judy (the only lady whose name I can remember) frowned. It may be obvious, but let me say I felt a bit uncomfortable. One of them commented that they had know each other for thirty years. All three were at least twenty years older than me, and two of the three were smoking. Typically I do much better trying to play nice with men than woman, and I knew this would be a tough group. As soon as we all finished hole number one, I was fairly certain this would be a long round.
I didn't give up! I tried to be nice and pleasant and produce small talk. I also tried to hold in my frustration since all three smoking elderly ladies were playing better than me. By hole four I had one of the three playing nice with me. As I started to relax my game became a bit better. At this point even Judy started playing nice with me. By the hole nine they even asked me to play the next nine. Since I had a chiropractor appointment for my back, I said no to the generous offer.
When I arrived at the chiropractor's office I was beat up. My back was quite sore, and my ego was destroyed. We'll see what next week brings. Playing in a Wednesday morning league might not have been a fabulous idea. Did I think women my age would have Wednesday morning off to play golf? Since I knew my game was below average, did I think I could beat these women?
Comments