Today is Earth Day. It is my understanding that Screw Earth Day is a campaign that underscores the importance of "making every day Earth Day." Caring about our Earth and environment shouldn't be a "one shot" fix. As I entered my classroom today and reminded the students to recycle the cardboard boxes their breakfast came in, a student said, "Yeah, today is Earth Day." I looked at him and responded, "Every day is Earth day." Although I received a strange look, I did get the student to smile and think about my statement.
I read an article this morning that debunked the Screw Earth Day campaign. The author stated that the "Greenwashing" (companies put green in front to look good and continue to pollute the planet) of products isn't necessarily a bad thing because at least these companies are beginning to realize that many consumers are looking for "green" products. My guess is that they don't necessarily understand the importance, but they understand the profit.
Earth Day has been celebrated for 40 years. Today is a day to rethink our plan for our Earth. Happy Earth Day! To celebrate Earth Day I will be purchasing Seventh Generation toilet paper. Actually, I put the last roll on this morning, so it would have been part of my day anyway. Happy Earth Day!
I read an article this morning that debunked the Screw Earth Day campaign. The author stated that the "Greenwashing" (companies put green in front to look good and continue to pollute the planet) of products isn't necessarily a bad thing because at least these companies are beginning to realize that many consumers are looking for "green" products. My guess is that they don't necessarily understand the importance, but they understand the profit.
Earth Day has been celebrated for 40 years. Today is a day to rethink our plan for our Earth. Happy Earth Day! To celebrate Earth Day I will be purchasing Seventh Generation toilet paper. Actually, I put the last roll on this morning, so it would have been part of my day anyway. Happy Earth Day!
Comments