I am trying to once again explain the difference between prose and poetry to my seventh graders. Today I tried to explain that poems are lyrical going as far as asking them to think about putting their poems to music.
Me- "Think of your favorite type of music and sing or rap your poem. If it reads like a song, it is closer to poetry. If it reads more like a story..."
Student 1- "What's your favorite type of music?"
Me- "Polka"
Student 2- "What's polka?"
Me- "I don't really know."
Student 3- "It's accordion music."
Me- "That might be true. You start working on your poems, and I'll look for polka music on iTunes."
I searched for the polka music and found some examples in iTunes. At the end of class I played a couple of the songs.
Student 4- "It's the chicken dance song."
Me- "Oh, yes, I think it is."
Student 5- "I think I like polka music."
I think this was facetious. Hopefully these students aren't at home downloading polka music to their iPods.
Me- "Think of your favorite type of music and sing or rap your poem. If it reads like a song, it is closer to poetry. If it reads more like a story..."
Student 1- "What's your favorite type of music?"
Me- "Polka"
Student 2- "What's polka?"
Me- "I don't really know."
Student 3- "It's accordion music."
Me- "That might be true. You start working on your poems, and I'll look for polka music on iTunes."
I searched for the polka music and found some examples in iTunes. At the end of class I played a couple of the songs.
Student 4- "It's the chicken dance song."
Me- "Oh, yes, I think it is."
Student 5- "I think I like polka music."
I think this was facetious. Hopefully these students aren't at home downloading polka music to their iPods.
Comments