Skip to main content

Where I'm From

My pastor has talked about this poem and suggested that we write our own.

Where I'm From

I am from clothespins,
from Clorox and carbon-tetrachloride.
I am from the dirt under the back porch.
(Black, glistening,
it tasted like beets.)
I am from the forsythia bush
the Dutch elm
whose long-gone limbs I remember
as if they were my own.

I'm from fudge and eyeglasses,
from Imogene and Alafair.
I'm from the know-it-alls
and the pass-it-ons,
from Perk up! and Pipe down!
I'm from He restoreth my soul
with a cottonball lamb
and ten verses I can say myself.

I'm from Artemus and Billie's Branch,
fried corn and strong coffee.
From the finger my grandfather lost
to the auger,
the eye my father shut to keep his sight.

Under my bed was a dress box
spilling old pictures,
a sift of lost faces
to drift beneath my dreams.
I am from those moments--
snapped before I budded --
leaf-fall from the family tree.

Mine probably needs a little work, but here it is:

Where I'm From
(adapted from George Ella Lyons)

I am from a land of tourists
overflowing in the summer and dead in the winter
from driving on the frozen lake or swimming past the bouy
from cornfields and rivers, lakes and bridges
from the apple tree
with an abundance of apples on the ground

I am from church, Sunday school, and confirmation
the walnut and the stone
from neighbors who bring food after funerals
and neighbors who tell all to parents
from the importance of education
always knowing I would go to college

I am from hardworking and long hours
and pipe fittings and appliances
from alcoholism and abuse
from powered milk and tuna casseroles
neither of which are palatable
from sitting on the bed with the taste of soap in my mouth

I am from "scooping the loop" and hanging out at the grade
from red Chevette, losing keys, and running out of gas
from red tagged Levis from the Three Sons and Twin Bings
the two do not necessarily work together
from Pat Benetar, Areosmith, and Billy Joel.

I am from football and basketball games
participant and bystander
from hunting and "keep your eyes peeled"
from bumps of the blacktop drive
from the sound of the basketball against the backboard

I am from small town, college and leaving home.
I am from these moments, memories, and milestones.
Together they make and break me!

Comments

Anonymous said…
nice job Mary!

Popular posts from this blog

Sankalpa Day 5

Today I went back to the interweb to find out what I could post about that would relate to sankalpa .  "...Sankalpa has the potential to release tremendous power by clearly defining and focusing on a chosen goal."  My chosen goal since May has truly been on being physically active.  Since it's cold and miserable out, I've been being active inside instead of outside.  December 6th (or something like that) was the last time I ventured outside for physical activity.  I, however, have still been going to they gym and focusing on being physically fit (or at least burning enough calories to eat more food).  Yesterday I received an early morning text from a friend in God's Country .  President Obama was talking about "The President's Challenge" .  Today (I tried yesterday and decided to put it off until today... forget out it... let it happen... put it aside... clear my mind of it... all probably sankalpa) I formed a group.  The...

What if... The Delivery

  Molly was excited to get a package from her friend who lives in Alaska.  When she opened the box, she was confused.  Although the shirt was actually soft and of good quality, she was upset by the guns in the flag.  When she googled Holster's, it was exactly what she thought... pro-gun.  She didn't know how to handle the situation, so she sent a picture stating she was confused. Her friend had obviously lost her mind.  During the conversation, she kept proclaiming that she hadn't sent a t-shirt.  When Molly explained it was her writing on the box, things became weird.  The friend was in a state of denial.  Molly even sent a text with a picture of the writing on the box. Molly's friend was adamant that she sent homemade condiments.  She wouldn't give up on her story even though it was clear Molly is in possession of an NRA type t-shirt.  After much deliberation, the two friends realized what had happened.  The original box, wit...

Missing You

Two Sundays ago I missed church because I was out of town. Last Sunday I missed church because I could not get to church due to the marathon (blocking my path... not my running). Dad and I tried to leave early, but we did not leave early enough. I joked with Dad about the fact that they would miss me at church. When I checked my e-mail this evening, I actually had an e-mail from my pastor saying I was missed. It was a short e-mail, but it was sweet and definitely a positive part of my day.