Most of the time my honors class drives me completely insane. I would love to say that they deserve the honors title, but the truth is they are not much more intelligent than the students in my other classes. Basically they can read better, but their writing is horrible. As far as their higher order thinking skills, I often question this. At the end of the quarter four left my honors class because they couldn't make the grade, so I moved five in who I believe can make the grade.
Today was the first day with the new students, and I asked them to come in and create a bit of mischief in my classroom. While I waited in the hall, they did as I had asked. I used this opportunity to introduce the novel they are reading. Yesterday I gave them the quote, "The truth, the whole truth, and..." I asked them to complete it and think about it. Today's set up was to talk about the truth and perception. As I entered the classroom, I acted upset and asked students to write what happened. Although I should have been surprised, I wasn't when only one student actually reported the truth about what happened. While I was acting upset, two of the students actually figured out my plan and realized it related to the quote they were given yesterday! Ahhh! The first sight of brilliance in my honors class in a very long time.
Today was the first day with the new students, and I asked them to come in and create a bit of mischief in my classroom. While I waited in the hall, they did as I had asked. I used this opportunity to introduce the novel they are reading. Yesterday I gave them the quote, "The truth, the whole truth, and..." I asked them to complete it and think about it. Today's set up was to talk about the truth and perception. As I entered the classroom, I acted upset and asked students to write what happened. Although I should have been surprised, I wasn't when only one student actually reported the truth about what happened. While I was acting upset, two of the students actually figured out my plan and realized it related to the quote they were given yesterday! Ahhh! The first sight of brilliance in my honors class in a very long time.
Comments