Today my plan was to visit Arlington National Cemetery. The bus lines were crazy. Although I have no idea, I'm guessing there were at least 100 buses. More buses than ever seen at Arlington according to the visitor center guy. This also meant a crazy number of people at the tomb of the unknown soldier which meant some people were unable to hold their silence (asked for aloud and with signage by the Arlington National Cemetery people). Although I have mixed reaction to the changing of the guard, if one is going to witness this event, I would think they could observe the silence.
The trip to Arlington National Cemetery also brought up something I hadn't thought prior to my conversation with S. The conversation was about cremation vs. burial. I have always been a strong believer of cremation. My thought was my body didn't need to take up space in the ground. S brought up the other side of the equation which is having more space for cemeteries with trees is better for the environment. If the cemetery wasn't there it could be condos, super stores, etc. Definitely something to consider although I still think I'd go with cremation. Maybe I'll bury those ashes instead of sprinkle the.
My other plan was to visit Mount Vernon. This did not happen due to the long lines and crazy number of buses. All is well, I've seen more than I thought I would and a great deal in DC. Besides, the concert yesterday was well worth the trip. Plus I've had a wonderful time hanging with S, R, and their darling children.
Big plans tomorrow... We're spending the afternoon looking at jumbo tron placement, metro lines, closed streets, etc. Did you hear there is an inauguration tomorrow? Did you also hear that I will be there among the throng of people? I'm fairly certain if you did not see me on television at the concert yesterday, you won't see me at the inauguration tomorrow, but I'll be there!!!
Comments