
Last night Dad and I attended a Christmas Eve service at a Methodist Church in Santa Cruz. I left feeling that I had wasted an hour of my time. The church service missed the meaning of Christmas. As much time was spent on Santa Claus and the reindeer as the birth of Jesus. In our already commercialized world, I found this difficult to understand.
This morning I read my pastor's blog. She understands the meaning of Christmas. Part of her blog says, "The beauty of the liturgical church year is that we would do this even without the commercial reminders that it is Christmas. Years before malls and coupons and the message to buy, buy, buy, this story has grounded Christians in a simple, yet profound telling of the birth of Jesus."
As I walked in the rain this morning feeling sad about the absence of snow, I also realized Christmas is more than snow. A manger scene was surrounded by green grass and trees. It is celebrating the birth of our Savior and family. I am blessed to be sharing this Christmas with my family.
Merry Christmas!
Comments